About This Collection
The Washington College of Law (WCL) was founded in 1896 by Ellen Spencer Mussey and Emma M. Gillett. WCL was incorporated in 1898 and merged with American University in 1949. WCL was the first law school founded by women for women. Ellen Spencer Mussey was the first woman dean of a law school.
The Washington College of Law Historical Collection from the Pence Law Library contains class schedules, correspondence, newspapers, programs, scrapbooks, and yearbooks documenting its history from 1851-1960. In addition, there are materials relating to the 1902 Encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic in Washington, D.C., Kappa Beta Pi (a legal sorority), and WCL founder, Ellen Spencer Mussey, and her family. The scrapbooks include newspaper clippings, invitations, photographs, and programs featuring alumni, students, and events.
The Washington College of Law Historical Collection web site is best experienced using Mozilla Firefox. Please be advised that some of the scrapbook pages may take longer to load. Flipping pages instead of using "Go To" button may alleviate this problem.
For further information, please contact the Washington College of Law - Pence Law Library at (202) 274-4352, or send an email to email@example.com.